Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Book 52 of the 50 Book Challenge

No Off Switch by Andy Kershaw, 401 pages


Started July 19th, finished July 30th.

I heard Andy Kershaw being interviewed by Richard Bacon about this book.  As he's a local lad I decided to give it a go.

A lot of the sentiments expressed by the author are similar to my own.  I'm impressed by his vast knowledge and immense passion for his music.  His bravery in covering some of the world's most horrible hotspots is commendable.

The problem is the man's arrogance.  It oozes out from every page once he gets on his high horse about something.  The old fashioned case of 'You may be right but I can never condone a case put so smugly and so condescendingly'.  A little bit of charisma goes a long way to help your cause.  A bad attitude, borne before you had a point to make, does not.

Then there's his attitude to women.  It's terrible.  He seems to know this and yet does nothing to improve it through his adult life.  I'd love to like this guy, he has a lot to offer.  Sadly he just comes across as a gobby, chauvinistic, Northerner.  The book is still an interesting read.  Just be prepared for your hackles to frequently lift.

3.5 pawprints out of 5

Total so far, Books - 52, Pages - 15,374 Yeah, made it over 15,000 :-)  Next year I'm going to try a different challenge.  One to expand my horizons.  Maybe read some of those classics I never got around to.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on completing your challenge!
I hope you will continue posting about the books you read though, I have discovered many new ones thanks to your blog! I would miss it if you stop!

Adam said...

Congrats on completing the challenge, Mary. I am not far behind you on this.

I have enjoyed this and am defintely going to do something similar next year as well.

Post a Comment