Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Book 49 of the 50 Book Challenge

The Gods Themselves by Isaac Asimov, 276 pages


Started June 29th. finished July 6th

I don't think I've ever read any Asimov.  This makes me feel kinda lacking when I say I'm a sci-fi fan.  In fact it's really a disgrace as I grew up with his books on the shelves and never got around to any of them.  This one I borrowed from my dad with the promise it was one of his best.

Now as I sit trying to type about the book I'm at a loss on how to describe it without spoiling the experience of the book.  It would also be hard to explain what it's about.  That's where Asimov's skill seems to lie.  making something complicated easy to understand.  Unfortunately I lack the skills to relate it back.

This was a brilliant book.  You had the science, all in a believable, not magical state.  A glimpse of  a future world.  The biggest plus was real people.  People as we are now and always have been, imperfect, ambitious, not ambitious enough, bitch, sulky. No Dystopia or Utopia just a future I can believe could come around. It was definitely a strange read but a very enjoyable one.  You had to really immerse yourself in the tale.  Then you were repaid many times over.  I loved the other worlds he built as well as he portrayed our future one.

The life forms he invented drew me right in.  Whilst keeping me guessing on certain outcomes.  I definitely need to get more of his books read.  Any suggestions?

This is one I'll read again in the not too distant future.  I'm dying to see how much more I get from it second time around.

4.5 out of 5 pawprints 

Total so far - Books 49,  Pages 14,332

Next, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John le Carre 

0 comments:

Post a Comment