Thursday, August 25, 2011

I miss Ice Magic

One of the fond memories I have of my childhood is Bird's Ice Magic.  It was the perfect Ice Cream topping.  It used science! to make a chocolate sauce that went hard due to the coldness of your ice cream.  You could then crack it with a spoon or if you were really adventurous....  Stir it, really quickly into your ice cream creating your own version of choc-chip.  It came in a cool upside down cone bottle.  The lid then looked like some Ice magic that had been squirted onto ice cream.


The different colours for different flavours.  Chocolate, Chocolate Mint and Chocolate Orange are the ones I can remember.

A Google search suggests that you can get hold of a product called Ice Magic but it's bloody dear and critically, comes in a boring bottle with a flip top lid.

Bird's Ice magic also had a very cool advert for a kid.  The 80's were mainly crappy but there were a few stand out stars.




Yeah, I know that it wasn't the perfect item to live in the cold North West with.  But, you could always run it under the hot tap to get it out of the bottle ;-)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

awww I have obviously missed something growing up in France... oh well....

Adam said...

I remember those too. Whatever happened to them?

Paul said...

Thank you Mary, I mention this as trivia from time to time and no-one remembers it! I used to bloody love Ice Magic. It looked so soft and squidgy but when it hardened you could have coated the space shuttle in it and it would have survived re-entry...

RikTrik said...

I personally loved the eighties and Ice Magic was one of those things that I truly miss about them. It was like making your own home-made choc ice mmmmmmm!!!

RikTrik said...

I have just contacted Bird's about "Ice Magic" and asked if there was any chance of a come back. Who knows, if enough people contacted them they might bring it back. Mind you it might end up being like "Freddo the Frog" where it don't taste anything like the original back in the day. (sigh)

Post a Comment