Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, pt 2


Off I trotted to Manchester's IMAX yesterday for my traditional HP watch with my sister.  I wanted to see this in 2D but that wasn't an IMAX option.

You've probably read reviews of this film that will be far more heartfelt than mine.  I've enjoyed the Harry Potter phenomenon very much.  Both the books and the films.  I haven't got that passion for them that most fans have though.

This seemed a fitting end to the franchise.  I found the first half dragged a little.  The same can't be said for part 2.  It whizzes along, tying up loose threads as it goes.  The effects were an addition to the film and enhanced it.  The plot took centre stage.  The performances were the best they've been.  Although I've never totally been convinced by Daniel Radcliffe.  My major problem was the 3D.  It was truly awful.  So awful that I would recommend people see this in 2D on a normal screen than follow my example.  Only the prime focus was clear.  Any faces in the background, you could only see the shape, no features.  These were people whose reactions we were supposed to be seeing.  Warner Bros, you should be ashamed.

I'd say Rowling created a wonderful world and story with the books.  I think the films were done as well as such a rich world and amount of plot can be in cinema form.  The only problem is that she created so many great characters that you can't see enough of them in the final outing.

I enjoyed this franchise but I am not upset that there won't be any more.  I'll probably see them all again and I'll definitely read the books again.  I don't need any more though.

(With 3D) 2 out of 5 pawprints.  

(Eliminating the negative effect of the 3D) 4 out of 5 pawprints.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm 100% with you on that one, and if I can I avoid 3Ds they really do not do anything for me and I always feel cheated by them.
As for HP, just like you I have enjoyed the whole lot but no tears were shed as I read many people had... I thought I was just coldhearted... but I see I am just normal ;-)

Unknown said...

I'm with you on the whole 'end of an era' crap. To me the movies were pale shadows of the books, and the books aren't gone. I have them all on my shelf and can revisit them any time. As for the 3D, we saw the normal version of the film and didn't feel slighted at all. There were a few shots where it was obvious that the 3D crowd were supposed to duck as a wand got shoved in their faces (no subtext there, I assure you), but that just made me all the happier that we were in the 2D cinema. Good movie, good job to all involved, now it's time to move on.

Post a Comment