Thursday, August 4, 2011

Book 48 of the 50 Book Challenge

The Chrysalids by John Wyndham, 196 pages


Started June 28th, finished June 29th.

Another read whilst on holiday.  How I wish I still was....  I'm always unsure on Wyndham with what I've read, What I've seen and what I know the synopsis of.  I can only be sure that until I've read all his output I haven't read enough.

I definitely haven't read this one before, it was totally new to me.  I really feel that John Wyndham has been a tad overlooked on the science fiction scene.  I think he put a lot of big ideas into the mix and people don't realise they were his ideas.  If I hear one more time that The Walking Dead opening scene ripped off 28 Days Later I will scream.

This book seems to be set after an apocalyptic event.  The setting resembles the English countryside with what seem to be relics of the past.  Nothing is ever set down on the page though.  You are given pointers to what may have happened and where.  These are scattered throughout the story and give you a little more each time without giving you definite answers.

The story follows a young boy from a religious family.  A very religious family.  The religion they follow has decided that God hates 'mutants'.  Anyone not pure in form is a travesty and never seen again.  As the boy becomes older he starts to question what he has always been taught.  Especially when his life experiences call 'facts' into question. The story then takes the boy and those around him on a journey of discovery.

I loved this book.  It's was one of those where you're gutted you've finished it.  Wyndham tells a tale perfectly.  Revealing things at just the right rate and leaving enough to let you wonder.  This story is definitely sci-fi yet there was a touch of the scary tales of Boogie men.  With aspects of the wonder of exploration seen in old sea-faring tales.  Alongside a study of humanity.

I'm unsure on the author's thoughts on religion.  He's hardly giving it the two thumbs up here.  Whether he is against it I don't know.  Maybe he was just using it as a tool to progress the story.  It was definitely well suited to that purpose.

This is definitely a keeper I'll read again and again.

5 out of 5 pawprints

Total so far, Books - 48, Pages - 14,056

Next - The Gods Themselves by Isaac Asimov

2 comments:

Paul said...

I love John Wyndham's books. He is completely underrated these days, you're right. Ideas that he developed have been copied so many times, their origins have been lost. I used to get wound when people raved about 28 Days Later opening in a deserted London and how iconic it was. Yes, it was - but it was done many, many years earlier!! Grr...

My favourite of his is still The Midwich Cuckoos, I absolutely love it.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like another great book!
My list of book to read in the near future is growing!
Thank you! :-)

Post a Comment